9d10, re-roll rolls of 2 or less and assign as desired. Minimum total 70 pts. Reroll lowest score and add on until you get over 75.
EG: Dana is rolling up what she hopes will be a Cyberninja.
She rolls: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 8, 9
Immediately, she needs two re-rolls, which score 9 and 6.
That gives her an array of: 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 8, 8, 9, 9.
That’s still only a total score of 58, she needs to gain another 15 total points.
Re-rolling the lowest score each time until it hits 70 continues until the array is: 6, 6, 6, 8, 8, 8, 9, 9, 10, which is bang on 70.
Roll as per normal, but potentially try to tie it to the background timeline.
Ignore the normal rules and treat everything as pickup skills. So you get 40+Int+Ref (before modifications and cybernetics) to spend where you like. Your Role skill cannot be higher than +5 and no other skill higher than +8 (so you have room to grow).
Netrunning will mostly be more like ‘real’ hacking, to do with prep and programs so it doesn’t drag down on the spot play, though on the spot hacking using field effects will also be an option.
Roles & Special Skills:
- Alt Media (Replaces Media): Credibility: Allows you to expose stories and use your reputation to convince people. Also adds half its score to your Persuasion and Interview skills, rounding down.
- Cop: Authority (Half round down adds to Intimidate and Interrogate, can be rolled by itself to exercise authority as an official agent of law/security).
- Corporate: Resources, this allows you to either draw on the parent company’s resources, or your own investments and holdings during a game. Government administrators are created using the Corporate model, but handle governmental resources.
- Covert Operative: Combat Sneak adds half its level to Stealth, Hide/Evade, Awareness and Initiative.
- Fixer: Streetdeal grants you free reputation equal to your skill level, as a wheeler and dealer, and adds as a bonus to your Streetwise rolls. You know people, everywhere, and can get just about anything.
- Grinder: Your Transhuman skill reduces the Humanity loss of installing Cyberware by its value, for each item.
- Influencer (Replaces Rockerboy): Influence allows you to reach a large audience via your social media presence and to directly influence smaller numbers of people to action. See Influencer table below.
- Investigator: The Research special ability grants half its level, rounding down, to Library Search and Shadow/Track.
- Medical Tech: Medtech allows you to perform highly trained feats of medicine, such as surgery. You can also add half of your Medtech skill (rounding down) to a single area of medical expertise such as Pediatrics, ENT, Oncology etc.
- Neotribe (Replaces Nomad): Neotribes are looser, transnational associations of people built on interests and common experiences. Communities, with stronger bonds. You can roll your ‘Family’ to gain aid or make local contacts from members of your ‘tribe’. Street gang members can be simulated with this role.
- Netrunner: Interface represents your intuitive grasp and specialist knowledge of modern computing. You add half your Interface skill, rounding down, when engaged in Programming, Electronic Security and System Knowledge rolls.
- Runner: Parkour is adds half its bonus to Athletics and Hide/Evade rolls.
- Scavenger: With a Scrounge check you can figure out where to find junked, lost, but otherwise usable and valuable materials. You will still have to go get them, however. Unlike Streetwise or Streetdeal, what you turn up is free for the taking – at least monetarily.
- Solo: Combat Sense (adds to Initiative).
- Solo: Combat Sense, bonus to Awareness and Initiative.
- Spy: Chameleon grants you one foolproof cover identity at level 1, another at level 5 and another at level 10. It also adds half its level as a bonus to Disguise and Persuasion/Fast talk rolls.
- Techie: As well as the ability to jury rig apparatus (for 1d6 turns of operation) you can also add your Jury Rig skill as a bonus to one area of technical expertise of your choice (engineering, science etc).
- THOT: Your Vamp skill allows you to encourage an audience to part with their money by using your sexuality, or their fetishes. Rolling this skill lets you tap people for money, make them take risks, send gifts to you and otherwise be led around by their libido.
- Transient: These are more akin to the traditional Nomads and are members of biker gangs, displaced peoples, Roma caravans, traveller convoys etc. Basic Transients can use family, to represent their connections and contacts. Sub-classes calculate their Kith score according to Neotribes P38. Subclasses include Warriors (Warpath adds half round-down to Melee, Initiative and Awareness), Outriders (Recon adds half its level to Awarneess and Hide/Evade) and Shaman (Counsel, Works as a half-strength version of Credibility and Charismatic Leadership).
- Transporter: Vehicle Zen is added as a bonus to vehicular skills.
Influence Level/Followers/Direct Influence
You start with a base of €6,000 derived from your Special Ability (Limited to a starting value of 5).
Choose a second skill upon which you have earned your more legitimate income on top (other skills are capped at 8).
Skill Level/Starting Cash Bonus
Big Ticket Items
If you have an essential, big-ticket item integral to your character concept, you can have a single item, vehicle or other asset with a value of no more than €50,000, but it technically, really, is on loan from a criminal, intelligence, corporate or other group who demand favours etc in exchange until you pay it off.
Note on Cyberpsychosis and Therapy
Cybertherapists are expensive specialists and a weekly one-hour session will set you back at least €200. In a month of sessions (€800) you can regain one point of Humanity, but NOT Empathy. Empathy can only be recovered by a combination of removing cybernetics and therapy.
EG: Tony’s Empathy drops from 6 to 5, following the installation of a new cyberarm. His current Humanity is 52. After seven months of therapy his Humanity is back up to 59, but he can gain no further benefit from Therapy, nor regain his lost point of Empathy.
Characters reduced to 2 Empathy manifest mental illness and tics – you can decide what, you know your character’s mental fracture points. At Empathy 1 that illness becomes full blown. At 0 it becomes a full blown and permanent derangement. This is separate to any other mental illnesses your character might suffer from. Losing additional points of Empathy stacks on more insanity until you decide to retire the character.
Wounds, Damage and Armour
We’ll start out by trying the Wounds/Threshold system from the Red jumpstart kit, which is kind of like 4e’s Health/Bloodied/Down system. It’s not really any less abstract than wound levels, and a bit easier on the bookkeeping.
It does also mean that armour SP is ‘compressed’ however. Armour SPs convert roughly like so…
Original SP/New SP