There’s a lot going on, but sadly not a huge amount of it is game related! I just published my Literary Nonsense fantasy novel ‘Alice through the Garbage Grinder’, which you can purchase at Amazon, Lulu or at my own site Post-Mort.com. A great deal of Brad McDevitt’s stock art is now also available at the site, perfect if you’re an indie publisher or need some images to spice up your handouts or streams.
That’s still the big news really, I have my own site now, launched this year. A censorship-proof digital outlet through which I can sell my own material, and perhaps even pursue some more controversial or ‘adult’ content, without The Man looking over my shoulder all the time. I hope to also be able to provide a safe haven for other controversial writers and game designers, so if you think you fit the bill, get in touch (though I will have to be somewhat selective).
The blog has a comic, which will run for around 30 days total before being made available commercially. A useful guide for explaining to family and friends just what the heck this RPG thing is, and how to get into it.
Actual Fucking Monsters was the other recent big release, and the overall reception has been pretty good. In fact I’ve decided to change the system of one of my next projects, ‘The Green’, to the one used in AFM, where it seems that it will fit a lot better than what I was originally going to use (the system from Kagai!).
I’m doing a lot of non-gaming work, as I noted before, primarily art, design and video work around Rachel Haywire’s presidential campaign, and the re-launch of the dissident tech/media site Trigger Warning. I’m finding this tremendously fulfilling, but don’t worry, I shan’t be turning my back on gaming any time soon! Then there’s computer gaming work, which I still can’t talk about, but it’s there.
Still, keep an eye out because sooner or later there’ll be more apparel, merchandise and more RPG projects, including a companion for AFM, a companion for MotSP and – eventually – The Green.
My Youtube channel is PostmortemVideo.
I have a Discord server too, if you want to hang out.
Take care everyone, have a good one,
It’s March, and that means mad March hares, aggressive duck sex in the back garden and the feeling that the year has finally, actually started and one should get on with things. So it goes.
There’s a lot of ‘behind the scenes’ stuff going on that is already interfering with the projects I had planned, albeit in the best way. There’s a possible new computer game project I might be writing for, a couple of guest writers for the few Gorean Adventures and the new store continues to gain traction. Actual Fucking Monsters continues at a reasonable pace in spite of the interruption – I’m currently working on a nice big section of suggested monster powers. I’m also looking to get Alice Through the Garbage Grinder edited late spring/early summer – so there’s some new fiction to look forward to.
In addition to all that I am (slowly) creating an audio version of the 5th Edition D&D SRD, which will be hosted first on my Youtube channel, and then made available as an mp3 audiobook.
Things are productive, even if they don’t necessarily look it.
First things first, do be sure and go and check out our new online store. I’d love to see the majority of our sales shift to that channel, where I’ll also be offering a limited number of ’boutique’ items, physical products, second-hand gaming material and more.
There’s a mailing list you can sign up to there too, to hear when we have something new out, like our new Metacard, roleplay encouragement system. You can also get cheeky discounts by signing up.
The ever-lovely Anna Cherry of Erinyes Angels has modelled some of our t-shirts, so look forward to seeing more of that coming along! I’d love to work with more cosplayers and nerdosphere models of all genders, so if you’d like to model or pose for other products, get in touch.
If you like the shirts, you can get them at Teespring. Anna Cherry’s not included, separate purchase necessary.
So where does that leave various projects?
- Unfortunately, the person I had pegged for the Zelart Scholarship had to drop out and couldn’t deliver a final piece due to an injury. I’ll be doing a separate update on this for you.
- Actual Fucking Monsters should be written by the end of the month, I’m not sure if I need more art for it or not, so it may be out at that time.
- I have to devote some time and energy to this potential computer game project.
- The SRD will be recorded as and when I have the time, but I do intend to see it through to the end.
Don’t forget you can get discounts on our work by subscribing to support us at Patreon, Subscribestar or Minds.com.
Firstly and most importantly we are seeking entrants to the Darkzel Art scholarship
Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well? It’s lovely and snowy here for the first (and possibly only) time this year. We don’t get that many snowy winters any more so I’m enjoying it as much as possible.
It’s a new year and that’s usually a time of setting out plans and ideas. So I’m going to do just that.
Firstly and most importantly we are seeking entrants to the Darkzel Art scholarship.
We have a $500 fund to give away to a deserving genre artist. That is, anyone in art education (college or university) or hard-up in some way (functionally homeless, transitioning, long-term unemployed or otherwise struggling. If you’re not sure if you qualify, you almost certainly do).
This prize money will be distrubuted (preferably by Paypal) at the end of February. So you have until the 28th of February to submit your argument as to why you should be supported, and a sample of your art.
Some quick guidelines:
- Any submissions need to be 300-600 dpi and 1/4 page (US Letter or A4).
- Black and white or colour is acceptable and will not affect your chances.
- Awards are decided on a combination of talent and necessity.
- You MUST be a genre artist, that is SF, fantasy, horror and so forth.
- You may submit multiple pieces.
- Your art will be re-sold as stock art, giving you exposure (I know…) and the opportunity to work with other RPG companies, as well as helping to fund next year’s prize.
- If you want to help you can donate art in support of the project, donate money for next year’s fundraiser and you can spread the word.
- Entries and additional information firstname.lastname@example.org
POSTMORTEM STUDIOS WEBSTORE
Yes, I’m going to be talking about this a LOT.
I have a brand-shiny-new web store set up at POST-MORT.COM which you should all bookmark and to which I’m going to try and drive more and more sales to get out from under the censorship problems and cost associated with using third parties such as Onebookshelf.
I’m also hoping to provide a home for risque, edgy and other badwrongfun material on my site while taking a relatively small percentage (compared to existing sites). This is not a ‘doors thrown open’ thing, but feel free to approach me if you make horror/risque/edgy or otherwise thematically appropriate material (audio, video and fiction/non-fiction too) and we’ll see what we can work out.
Last year was a bit piecemeal, which got a fair bit done – more than I would otherwise have managed – but wasn’t especially satisfying.
I’ve also learned to be a little bit less of a control freak and to let other people play with my babies. The Gor adventures that have resulted – built around skeletal outlines and ideas from me – have sold fairly well, and paid for themselves in terms of the extra cost incurred to make them. That being the case I’m likely to continue in that vein, and perhaps open up other support material projects to others.
I don’t want to write cheques my arse can’t cash, so anything that isn’t ‘done’ or ‘in production’ you can’t guarantee to happen any time soon. That said…
Complete or ‘In-Process’
- Fantasy/Satire Novella: Alice through the Garbage Grinder
- Horror/Death spiral RPG: Actual Fucking Monsters
- Video Education/Advice Course: Grim’s Guide to RPG Publishing
- Videocast: Inappropriate Characters (this will continue to be built this year)
- More adventures for Tales of Gor.
- Metacards: A roleplaying and verisimilitude enhancement system for any RPG.
- Regularly streamed games at Postmortem Video, probably starting with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition.
Almost Certainly Upcoming this Year
- Modern Horror RPG: BLOOD! 3rd Edition.
- Kung-Fu and Sixguns RPG: Setting Sun.
- Grimdark – A set of ‘hardcore’ and nasty rules for 5e D&D.
- As yet unnamed, necropolis ‘megadungeon’ for 5e D&D, this will be crowdfunded.
- Thematic ‘RPG Tools’ sets – dice, dice tray, dice bag etc along particular themes and styles.
OPPORTUNITIES & SERVICES
There are opportunities to work with or for Postmortem Studios on various projects and services or assistance that we can offer.
- We are looking for writers familiar with the D6 system (OpenD6, WEG Star Wars) and the Gorean works of Jon Norman to continue to provide engaging and knowledgable supplementary material.
- We need t-shirt models to help with promotions and sales of our line of apparel and would like to have more cooperation with cosplayers and the broader nerd-sphere fanbase.
- Got a game to promote? Want to discuss topics around RPGs, games, nerd media or want to argue with me about them? Great, get in touch and we’ll do a livestream to talk about these things on Postmortem Video.
- Artist? We can help you sell your stock art to the RPG publishing community.
- Sell edgy/dark/risque or gonzo games or fiction? We’re looking to add you to our storefront.
- Basic editing/readability service.
- Book trailers and video advertisements for your games/books.
- Voiceover work.
- RPG Industry/Game Design/Sales consultancy.
- Freelance writing, copy writing, game design.
- Ebook covers – Many people create very simplistic covers with terrible font choices and don’t make the most of the art they use. Even five minutes of professional oversight can give you a much more attractive and professional looking cover.
Some kind soul put this together.
So feel free to download it and use it 🙂
The new Postmortem Studios web store is up and running! We’re still adding products and engaged in a steep learning curve on all this stuff, so if you run into any problems please do let us know! Otherwise everything should work, with digital delivery.
We’ll be expanding our inventory, offering physical products, second hand products and integrating things like our Teespring store as we move on into the future.
My intention is also to create a (relatively) safe place to publish challenging and controversial content for others, though we will, still, have to conform to the demands of payment processors. If you’re a gaming or gaming related publisher who has been stung by censorship, get in touch (grim AT postmort DOT demon DOT co DOT uk) and we’ll see what we can do.
Not all of our products are up just yet, but we’re getting there.
It’s November, and about time for another update, as we Brits look forward to setting shit on fire and blowing things up.
I’m trying to get my PATREON up to over $200 a month. This is primarily to support my work on YOUTUBE, but also supports my blogging and other work. You get access to periodic exclusive content, you can request video topics, you can get discounts on apparel and books.
As for me, my endless wrangles with the Department of Work and Pensions seem to have come to a (positive) end, which takes off a lot of pressure and allows me to take more risks and invest more in my work in order to get out of that situation, as well as to farm out more work to others.
There will be plenty of openings as we move towards the end of the year and into the new year, for writers (Gor and D6 familiarity a bonus) and for artists (send me your links and portfolios!).
The Darkzel Scholarship will be coming up soon, my regular fundraiser to help out young, impoverished or otherwise hard-up artists. So keep an eye out for that. The fundraiser runs for three months and entries are welcome up to a month after. This year we’ll be returning to the format of providing a lump, ‘prize’, sum to one lucky applicant.
Postmortem Studios will have its own, censorship-free site next year for direct sales, insulating me from issues on existing sales sites – provided everything goes well – and I hope to be able to provide a safe haven for other, censored RPG and nerd-media writers there too.
Nanowrimo? Not sure, maybe, if I do it’ll be short stories.
Anyway, fire away with any questions or suggestions and I’ll try to get cracking!