YOU CAN DONATE MONEY HERE
IF YOU WANT TO DONATE ART, SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM
Let me sum up…
Hi. I’m James ‘Grim’ Desborough, owner of Postmortem Studios. We’re an independent RPG game and fiction publisher with a large portfolio of genre stock art. I’ve been working in the RPG industry for nearly 20 years and have worked with a lot of great artists and publishers.
For many years I worked with a young, promising artists known as ‘DarkZel’, until he was tragically killed in an accident. In his memory I have run a scholarship fund for several years as a competition, helping out young or struggling artists with money for supplies or just to help them through school. I want to help them, in the same way, I helped Zel.
This year we’re doing something a little different. My ill health will not allow me to run a full crowdfunder and competition as I have in the past, and it has also become apparent that we do not have a large enough stockpile of stock art – yet – to make the scholarship self-sustaining. To that end, this year, I intend to solicit donated art and to use the money raised here to commission art pieces from young and struggling artists, all of which will be sold as stock art to help the viability of the scholarship long term.
By helping here, you’ll be contributing to aid for young artists for years to come.
What We Need
The money raised from the last year’s sales of the scholarship stock art will be combined with whatever is raised here to commission pieces from young and struggling artists. $500 will allow us to commission a number of pieces which will then be sold on sites like RPGNOW into the games design and writing community.
‘Exposure’ has a bad rap when it comes to creative work – I’m a writer, believe me, I know – but artists who donate art or get commissioned will get exposure to a large, potential pool of clients and their contact information will be disseminated to anyone who buys their art. I will also promote them on my blogs, social media and Youtube channels. Those commissioned will, of course, also be paid!
If we don’t reach the full goal, whatever amount is raised will go on commissioning art. Similarly, if we exceed our goal, all the money raised will go on commissioning art.
What do you get? You get to help create a legacy and to make young and struggling artist’s lives a little easier.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can’t donate, what you can do is share the campaign and encourage others to do so. You can make people aware of the existing Scholarship stock art and encourage them to buy it and use it in their own projects. If you’re an artist, you can donate work and the details for that can be found on the Postmortem Studios blog.
If you’re an artist you can donate art to the stock-art stockpile to help raise money in the future – and even if you can’t donate art, please let other artists know. Art you donate will be sold as stock art to other RPG companies and publishers with the requirement that you be credited and linked. ‘Exposure’ is bullshit, as any creative person knows, but you will get some of that in addition to helping other artists.
- Art can be of any genre. Fantasy typically sells best, then science fiction, then horror and then the rest.
- Art can be of any style. Realistic, stylised, anime/manga, traditional fantasy, painted, sketched or any other.
- Art can be B&W or colour.
- Art must be submitted digitally at 300-600 dpi and preferably at approximately A4, A5 or A6 international sizes.
- Art may be existing art, provided you have the rights it has not already been licensed to anyone else.
- Suggestive or nude art is permissible, but not ‘full on hardcore’.
- Violent art is permissible.
- Art can be donated year round, but this push will run until the end of January.
- Please mail firstname.lastname@example.org your entry (or a link to a download site) and include your portfolio web address and contact email for new customers.