I’m going to assume this is advice for people who want to make their own games, rather than advice for players or games masters.
The best advice I can give is ‘don’t’. There’s a reason so many games get dubbed ‘fantasy heartbreakers’. Also I don’t want the competition!
The market IS flooded with a lot of material from a lot of very small companies.
More seriously though…
- Do it for you, not with the expectation of making money.
- Have a new idea that you love.
- Keep in mind that people will second guess everything that you do.
- Remember that once you release a game, it’s no longer yours. People will do things to it and with it. Unspeakable things.
- You’re almost bound to be criticised for some sort of *ism, whatever your motivation or intent.
- The future is digital and online.
- Get good advice (hint, I consult for a reasonable fee and you can get a lot of good advice in a relatively short period of time).
- A lot of what makes success in any industry is networking.
- You are your brand.
- Social Media is all important.
- Video > Text