You can give money to the scholarship fund HERE.
There’s more information in the Darkzel scholarship tab at the top of this page, but here’s the brief rundown as we’re not only soliciting donations towards the scholarship fund, but also entries and applications for the scholarship!
The Darkzel Scholarship
Zachary Harris, ‘Zel’ or ‘Darkzel’, was a friend of mine who worked for me on a number of projects from Blood! to Cthentacle as well as side projects such as a comic book and stock art. We were planning all sorts of projects together and he worked with me for some years until his untimely death while he was teaching English in Korea.
In this business, you often end up working with young artists and so it was with Zel. As a result we forged a friendship and I helped him pay his way through education and to blossom into a professional and very skilled artist.
What better way, then, to commemorate him by establishing a scholarship in his name to further support new, young artists? So that’s what I decided to do.
Young SF&F artists often have a hard time in an education system which favours ‘fine art’ or ‘design’, neither of which SF&F easily fit into. Art is also, often, a hard career to enter and to succeed at with expensive supplies and other issues that stand in a person’s way.
Each year I consolidate the money raised by Zel’s stock art and the donations and winners from previous years and put it into a lump sum, as well as running a fundraiser to raise the scholarship funding to a more useful level (typically $500). Each year, then, more art accumulates and in theory the income rises year on year as the art is added to.
This year sales raised $60. I hope donations can add onto this and get us to at least $600.
You Want to Help?
- Donate Money at the IndieGoGo fundraiser.
- Donate Art (Pieces should meet the same criteria as entries.
- Publicise (Post on forums, blogs, social media etc).
- Buy some art, the sales of which go to fund the scholarship.
The Fundraiser will close out on February the 1st next year and judging may finish then or continue until the end of February, depending on the number of entries received in that period.
- Entries need to be presented in electronic format, submitted to my email address (grim AT postmort DOT demon DOT co DOT uk).
- Entries should be at least A6 size at 300-600 dpi.
- B&W or colour is fine.
- Content should be Science Fiction or Fantasy related – or at least ‘genre’ related. Horror is also fine, modern adventure/spy/historical adventure, pulp, steampunk and so on is all fine too. (‘Adult’ illustration is OK, but full on erotic/pornographic cannot be accepted).
- You must be in full-time education at High School, College or University. Entries from people in reduced circumstances (long term unemployment, disabled etc) will be considered but the scholarship is primarily intended to help young up-and-coming artists. You’ll need to provide confirmation of your status either way.
- You must be payable via Paypal.