Oh great and powerful Interwubz I beseech thee for help,
I’m working on a thing that centres on small-town America, specifically in the Pacific Northwest. My experience of America is limited to films and a handful of American cities. While I want to retain a filmic feel I want to modernise and update a bit at the same time and make things a bit more genuinely relatable.
Can you help?
- What sort of businesses and services would you find?
- How does local medical care work? Clinics? Individual doctors?
- What sort of crime and local legends are there?
- Street names?
- What kind of work do people do? Are there still ‘one business towns’?
- What pieces of old Americana remain? Ice cream/soda parlours?
- Local mechanics?
- Small shops or just a 7/11 or a gas station store?
- Do kids still go out ‘exploring’ and riding bikes?
Anything and everything you can come up with that you might think would be useful to me would be great.