Jehovah: The ultimate Gygaxian GM
While working on the GM section for SWING it struck me that most RPG books tend to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on… about how difficult it is to be a Games Master, how much work it is, problem players, preparation and all the rest of the bad, off-putting stuff with hardly a word about how great it is to be the GM. No wonder we Games Master’s are a rare breed given all the time we seem to spend telling people how shit/difficult it is.
I decided to buck that trend and go on a bit about how great it is to be a GM. I’m not going to go into all of it here since I want people to buy the book but really… being a GM is cool.
- You can people to respect your ‘AUTHORITAY!’
- You’re the boss.
- You’re ‘god’ of this whole fantasy world.
- Imaginary life and death is in your hands.
- It’s massively, personally and creatively satisfying.
- The look on your player’s faces is often priceless to behold.
What do you reckon? Do we put people off GMing? Are you a GM or a player? What do you get out of GMing? What would you tell someone to get them to try it? If you don’t GM… why not?